[plug] how do I view shockwave files under linux - preferably using firefox?

James Laurence Clarke jamesc at global.net.au
Mon Oct 3 21:44:03 WST 2005

Bill,

In my experience shockwave flash is no problem with Linux and Firefox, you can
download Linux version of the shockwave plug in from www.macromedia.com,
however some distros are not as compatible with it as others. I have had no
problems with most versions of Mandrake/Mandriva Linux and Ubuntu Linux
(5.04). What distro are you intending to use for your wife's laptop?

Quicktime support is a different matter, however earlier quicktime files
(version 5 or below) seem well supported in Linux now, but newer quicktime
files require a lot of hunting arround for the CODECs and players, etc.

The same applies for Windows media player files, older files generally work
better, but new ones require some effort to get working, but having said that
it is not impossible just painful.

Regards,

James

--