[plug] Re: weird pcmcia problem

Clare Johnstone clare at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 4 07:41:24 WST 2005

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Caleb Duggan wrote:

> I just found a way to remove the card without the system locking up, it
> lets me remove it if i kill cardmgr first
>
> It is infact picking up devices that i plug into usb when its booted
> up....i was testing it with a usb flash drive and was just running fdisk
> -l and it just wasent listing it but, i was able to mount it so, i guess
> thats fine.
>
> I still have the problem of the wireless card not working when the pcmcia
> to usb card is in and i have no idea how to go about fixing it.....
>
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:45:56 +0800, Caleb Duggan <caleb.duggan at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I got a pcmcia to usb2 card today and when i stick it in my pcmcia slot
> > on my old laptop(using damn small linux -- well its more like debian
> > sarge now...i did a dist-upgrade from sarge mirrors), the wireless card
> > which is in the other slot then refuses to work, the usb only seems to
> > work with devices that are in it on bootup and the system locks up if i
> > eject the card while the computer is booted up.

Caleb you don't mention the command cardctl
Also you don't mention hotplug.
THe cardctl command I found really necessary always
cardctl eject
	then pull the card

quite often just the sequence in a script, without touching the card
itself
cardctl eject
cardctl insert
(It does have a  man page.)

hotplug also has a long and descriptive man page.
So try for that and see if you have it. I need it for any
usb device.

cheers,
 clare