[plug] X11 client Webbrowser

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Wed Oct 5 17:25:57 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 15:38, Ryan wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 11:28 +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Does anyone know of a good X11 client you can run from a web browser?
>
> As previously stated I don't think 'good' should go in the same sentence
> as 'Java solution' in this case, but this project claims to have an X
> server running under IE 5.5's JVM:
>
> http://www.jcraft.com/weirdx/
>
> The first screen shot on that page is said claim.

Doesn't seem to work under Java 2 1.5.0 under Windows XP or on
1.4.2_05 on Linux.

> Aside from that, VNC relatives such as 'rfb' (which comes in GNOME and KDE
> flavours too) will export the current display via VNC which you can then
> hijack with the VNC web client.

I'm thinking about giving the customer that option of VNC or remote X. I
expect remote X to be smoother and more usable but if VNC can perform
that well then its ok.

They have to be able to connect to it from virtually any PC.

It looks like you can even access VNC a client written in ActiveX:
http://www.veridicus.com/tummy/programming/vncx/