[plug] Wireless Internet

Benjamin J Keith bjkeith at it.net.au
Wed Oct 5 18:07:45 WST 2005

My brother is using the Telstra EVDO/CDMA system on a trip around Oz.  He
is on a $50/mth timed plan - 20 hours per month measured in 15 min blocks
(that Telstra routinely miscounts).

When I got to play with it before he left in April this year, the claims
Telstra was making about EVDO coverage in the city (Perth) were way
exaggerted.

He reports ok coverage in major cities through EVDO and has been able to
connect through CDMA, though he says this feels slower than a 33.6k modem.

So if you *have* to be connected, outside of a major centre without
landline access and without lugging a satellite dish this might be the
solution for you.  If you are looking for affordable, reliable wireless
connectivity in Perth, give it a miss (at least until they improve their
coverage).

Hope this helps,

Ben