[plug] DFI Motherboards - Sound

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 12 10:57:11 WST 2005

Quiets relative: Yes the cupboard will make it quieter still (plus
remove an ugly steel box from view).

The more I read on the topic of quiet PC's, it appears more logical to
put as much as possible (hot bits wanting air flow like tuners, noisy
disk arrays etc) in a backend in the garage, and have a light weight
frontend thats diskless/fanless.  All I need is money ...

I think I might go back to the drawing board and put the tuners back in
my athlon 2500+ desktop machine that can run 24/7 and not annoy anyone
but my power bill, and strip the former media PC and its quiet, but
underpowered 100w supply and 993Mhz P3 down to a frontend (mythtv) only.
My only difficulty is the analog tuner sees a noisy signal at the end of
a long feed, though the Divico DVB-T tuner has an incredible picture -
the cupboard is much closer to the antenna distribution amp.

BillK