[plug] DFI Motherboards - Sound

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Wed Oct 12 20:11:16 WST 2005

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 08:55, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> For a file/database server, it's usually more effective to add more
> memory and hard discs (and channels) than to add another processor.
> When you run out of processor (i.e. it spends more than about 25% to
> 30% of it's time in IO processing), you upgrade the processor.

Agree.

The machines I've just assembled are happy to have the AMD64/3000 ripped
out and an AMD64/4400-X2 dropped in place. Which needless to say makes
a _substantial_ difference to the available horsepower. Think of
upgrading a dinky old 186 ("red motor") XA Ford to a 351 Shaker with
one change and no shattered drivetrain components. However, I would be
surprised if they ever sustained 5% CPU useage as-is.

I'm surprised at how cheap the Opterons themselves have become, at ~$300
a CPU to drop into an ~$800 Tyan board alongside ECC ram at ~$500/GB.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia