[plug] Good RAID Howto

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 18:10:06 WST 2005

> You will have to reboot the box for the OS to see the increased size of
> the "physical" disk it sees (i.e. the RAID5 array) more than likely.
> Then you can resize the filesystem, but you MUST umount it to do this.
> Depending on how you've got the disk configuration setup, and which
> partition you want to resize... it may not be easily possible to resize
> it though.  You may just have to create new partitions, which you could
> mount under particular large group shares depending on where your disk
> usage is going etc. obviously.

IIRC, and it's like LVM, then you can resize without unmounting... Of
course it depends on file system ;)
I believe reiserfs can do it. Not sure about any others...

Oh, and be careful... I formatted a partition as reiser4 only to find
out I needed kernel patches for my kernel, even though I was using the
latest src! :(

Tim