[Fwd: Re: [plug] DFI Motherboards - Sound]

Alex Polglaze apolglaze at book-keepingnetwork.com.au
Fri Oct 14 16:25:56 WST 2005

Sorry to burst your bubble Bevin, but there was a limited release  of 186
X2's (this why I was so keen to get hold of one of them when I did) -
they had several problems with their overhead valve gear and lifters - in
my case the problem was solved by the use of "solid lifters" instead of
the standard hydraulic lifters. They also had problems with fibre timing
gears - this was overcome by replacing with steel gears from the 179's

They were soon redesignated to 186S -

The only real difference was :

The X2 motors had twin down draught carbies while the 186S had a single
side draught carby (if I remember correctly)

You are correct Arie. The HR had 5 distinct motors available. The 2.65
ltr 161 and a low compression version, a 3.05 ltr 186, 3.05 ltr X2 and a
3.05 ltr 186S. The difference between the X2 and the 186S was a double
and a single carby, as you said, although the 186S was a two barrel,
single carby and it was a replacement for the X2.

Alex