[plug] Time speeding up...

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Oct 16 22:10:36 WST 2005

Alex Nordstrom wrote:
> Sunday, 16 October 2005 21:10, Senectus . wrote:
>
>>For some odd reason the time on my PC is speeding up.. I seem to gain
>>about an hour and a half a day without reboots..
>>Any idea what might cause that?
>
> A fast clock.

Yep. It could also be power management related. Some laptops will gain
time if they're booted in 1/2 clock or 2/3 clock mode, then throttled up
to full speed at runtime. This seems to be much less common in these
days of ACPI hardware that kind of works, but used to be depressingly
frequent.

> Install ntp.

Yep, that's what I'd recommend. Using the network time protocol will
give you much more accurate time than you could ever expect to get from
your PC clock, fast or otherwise. On most systems it's trivial to set
up, often as easy as "apt-get install ntp" or "yum install ntp", though
you might want to edit the NTP server config file to specify a more
convenient local timeserver.

--
Craig Ringer