[plug] FoIP - 21st century faxing

Paul Arch paul at sdmgroup.com.au
Tue Oct 18 12:20:50 WST 2005

Chris Caston wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Anyone here using FoIP yet?, Splashed out for an expensive internet fax?
>Or perhaps a service like efax or mbox.
>
>What solution do you have to avoid paying line rental for something that
>has otherwise been replaced by e-mail.

Hi,

 I too hate paying telstra $$$ :)

 you could give a VOIP provider a go like :

  http://www.oztell.com/services/net2max_prices.php
 ( warning - their website is probably the most horrible website anyone
will come accross )

 I have signed up for the $6.95 / month, which gives you two DID ( PSTN
accessible numbers/ real phone numbers... ) one for fax and one for
voice.  I have set the fax to go through to my email address, delivered
by pdf. ( they have a service called WebPABX which allows you to divert
your DID numbers to alot of different services )

  My Offices lines are a little strange, but I will try and explain :
    L1 - Incoming Telstra Line, this is a real telstra line that you pay
rental on $40 p/month
    V1 - Telstra Number ( Office ) $6 p/month
    V2 - Telstra Number ( Fax ) $6 p/month

    We dont usually get calls to L1
    V1 was our old number, this is setup as Telstra distinctive ring on L1
    V2 was our old fax number, this is setup as Telstra distinctive ring
on L1

    I have put a divert on V2 to FoIP number as provided by Oztell -
this does mean though that I pay diversion for each fax, but we dont
    get many faxes.  We do have a fax machine on L1 which recognises
distinctive ring, but coming through on email is nice for archiving etc.

  Confused yet ?  At the end of the day, we pay $40 + $12 for
effectively three lines on one.  But of course you can only have one
call going out, which is where VoIP comes in handy !

 Cheers

 Paul Arch