[plug] DFI Motherboards - Sound

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Tue Oct 18 13:49:21 WST 2005

On Sunday 16 October 2005 23:24, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> I've accidentally unplugged the CPU fan on a 6-series P4 (the ones
> that put out close to twice as much heat as an Athlon) on an Intel
> motherboard.  It ran fine for several hours and then shut down.
> When I went to power it up again, the BIOS informed that a "thermal
> event" had happened last time the machine was on and that I should
> check the heatsink.

That's the usual result on a Linux box. At 3AM, a few minutes after the
nightly cron jobs make the machine do it's only real work for the day.

I've had several Linux boxes with dead CPU fans (one with what was
technically a dead spinning dust disk, a kind of primordial solar
system in miniature but with plastic framework), one with both CPU and
PSU fan dead, and one OpenServer box with "only" a dead PSU fan keep
right on operating. The OpenServer box started segfaulting applications
occasionally and at random; the case was too hot to touch and opening
it cost me most of my eyebrows but stopped it killing applications
until the end of shift.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia