[plug] Securing Redhat 9.0

Kathryn nyrhtak at nw.com.au
Tue Oct 18 22:22:59 WST 2005

The other internal machines for this mob are a novell f&p, a win2k servers
(the redhat server is their gateway) and a bunch of windows desktops for the
users. My idea is to put what I can in the DMZ (they don't have one), bung
the internals behind a very restrictive rule set, and disable all
unneccessary services and ports on everything. Would you recommend a
software firewall on the internal machines (assuming they also have an av
client thats running realtime scanning including email etc etc)? I would
also like to strip all their email attachments on the way in or is that
getting a bit harsh? And whitelisted internet access.
I like the guideline of default deny for everything (not just firewall
rules), so that everything is blocked unless the user can prove they have a
business justification for it, although management won't usually stand for
it in the real world.
What would you suggest for the firewall on the internal machines?

Thanks for the tips

Kathryn