[plug] A tip about X and CPU usage.

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Wed Oct 19 10:49:25 WST 2005

Hi all,
I upgraded my main machine from SUSE 9.3 to 10.0 yesterday, and was
working happily all day. Today, when I booted, it showed the KDM screen
and then just hung - mouse moved, but nothing else worked Alt+Ctrl+Fn
didn't do anything - mouse clicks, nada, keyboard, nothing.

I was able to ssh in from another machine, and X was running at 100% -
killing it just did the same thing -restarted, and preoccupied (not
dead).

Anyway I was going through the log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) and I noticed
no errors, but I did notice that I had the following lines:

> (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "NvAGP" "2"
> (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "RenderAccel" "true"
> (**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling experimental RENDER acceleration

Now, I have recently bought Cedega (waste of money, BTW - for what I
wanted), and to try to get it to pass the 3D acceleration tests, I'd
"fiddled" a bit.

Commenting these out seems to have done the trick, and Robert is again
my uncle.

This is a tip that may save someone a few minutes FWIW

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart

Linux Counter user #306629