[plug] sysrescue

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Sun Oct 23 00:10:00 WST 2005

I think found it.  eth16i has something to do with gigabit nics.  My
mobo has same, but I disabled it in the CMOS because all of the rest of
my network is 100mbit.  The only cure I could find was to add the
"nonet" parameter at boot time.  Crazy thing is, that I assume nonet
disables ALL networking, but what happened is that the 100mbit network
and internet connection still work fine.

Kev

Craig Ringer wrote:
> Kev wrote:
>
>> I have tried to boot from the sysrescue CD (v2.14 and v2.15) but it
>> hangs at the point of:-
>>
>>     scanning for eth16i...
>

> eth16i is, according to the source:
>
> "An ICL EtherTeam 16i and 32 EISA ethernet driver for Linux"
>
> It can be safely assumed your AMD64 doesn't have one. What's probably
> happening is that it's probing for the device by poking at some ports,
> running into something that doens't like to be poked that way, and
> locking up the system.
>
> A kernel/hardware guru could probably explain better.
>
> Your best option is probably to try to suppress probing for this device.
> The manual doesn't seem to say anything about that, but perhaps there's
> some info in the pre-boot documentation (accessed by F1 to F<n> keys at
> boot prompt).
>
> --
> Craig Ringer

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 3.0.2
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!