[plug] tarballs

Peter F Bradshaw pfb at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Oct 23 11:34:22 WST 2005

Hi;

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005, J Michael Gilks wrote:

> On Sunday 23 October 2005 06:46, Alex Polglaze wrote:
> >
> > To uncompress this file, the command that I should issue is;
> >
> > tar -xvjf thunderbird-1.0.7.tar.gz
> >
> > Is this correct?
> >
> Under normal circumstances this is correct, however I recently came across
> some tar.gz files which would not extract with the -v option.
> No idea why, but I must admit the instructions did say to extract using
> tar xjf and that did work.
> So give it a try without the -v and it may work.
> Hope this helps.

Since having some problems many years ago (back in the 'compress' days I
think) with GNU tar and compression I've used:

gzip -dc tarball.gz | tar -xvpf -
or;
bzip2 -dc tarball.bz2 | tar -xvpf -

for upacking and;

tar -cvpf - source | gzip -cv > tarball.gz
or;
tar -cvpf - source | bzip2 -cv > tarball.bz2

> Love
> Mike.

Cheers

--
Peter F Bradshaw, personal.exadios.com, ICQ 75431157 (exadios).
PGP public key at personal.exadios.com/public_key.html