[plug] tarballs

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Sun Oct 23 11:42:57 WST 2005

Sunday, 23 October 2005 06:46, Alex Polglaze wrote:
> I am trying to help my daughter install Thunderbird, (on a Linux
> m/c). We have downloaded the the file called
> thunderbird-1.0.7.tar.gz.

It is generally much easier and advantageous to install software using
the package management system of your chosen distribution. This also
lets you ensure all the programs on your computer are up to date using
a single interface.

For example, in Debian, you would become root and run:
aptitude install mozilla-thunderbird

Or use synaptic, kpackage or similar for a graphical interface. Other
distributions use other package managers, for example yast in Suse,
urpmi in Mandriva, apt or yum in Fedora, RPM in Red Hat, emerge in
Gentoo, and so on.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/