[plug] Linux Desktop Market, office interoperability

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com
Mon Oct 24 15:57:01 WST 2005

Straight from
http://documentation.openoffice.org/HOW_TO/various_topics/11--Tips-for-Moving-to-OOo.sxw
http://documentation.openoffice.org/HOW_TO/various_topics/11--Tips-for-Moving-to-OOo.pdf

4.Don't Rely on Import/Export Filters for Exchanging Files
... ...
The truth is, there never has been a completely reliable import or
export filter in any office suite. Chances are there never will be. If
there is, my money is on cross-compatibility between OOo, KOffice and/or
GNOME office. These formats are all open source, so at least the
development time will be shorter. But, even with open-source formats,
filters are going to cause problems for the immediate future.
Why? For one thing, writing filters is an intensive and unglamorous job.
For proprietary companies, making the perfect filter is too expensive-
aside from the fact that they don't want you using rivals' software. For
... ...

There's more, but I'll leave the pasting for now and let you go to the
full document if you want it.

So even OOo's official line is that it aint their biggest priority.
Maybe that's something that could change? Perhaps take that intensive
and un-glamorous job and turn it into a... well, glamorous one.

Of course, this document was based on 1.1.4, but I imagine the term
'never' goes beyond a single version.

Greg.