[plug] Linux Desktop Market

luca at trifelli.id.au luca at trifelli.id.au
Tue Oct 25 14:34:25 WST 2005

Well... exchanging documents between corporate or business identities directly in word or Excel format is not a good practice.
For many reasons they should be converted into a safer file format eg. pdf, which allows you to set some securities and
restrictions on the document.
Therefore, if there is not need to exchange documents in the original format, why OpenOffice wouldn’t be good?

I would say that implementing OpenOffice would be discouraging the users to send out documents in the original format, therefore
adding an extra degree of security for your files.

I believe that the greatest barrier would be introducing OpenOffice to the users, and It should be done gradually with proper
tuition in order to get their skills up to the level required by your production environment.

The only thing I can think of right now is that, PowerPoint presentations might not work as supposed under OpenOffice (not sure).
Some presentation may represent a serious security risk for your business if they fall in the wrong hands, just because some
user puts so much information on them to impress a potential customer, that reveals almost everything about your Company.
Image if the competition will have it!!!

PowerPoint presentation are a choice for a small sized business, where they cannot afford other ways to deliver the information
to the end-user (eg. Life Presentations or Webcast via the Internet or Intranet).