[plug] Time to replace palm m130?

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 25 15:21:52 WST 2005

Treo 650 ?

clunky palmOS, uses most Palm apps, some odd gotchas like MP3 player
wont play through the bluetooth headset (which is for phone calls
only!!!).  WiFi support is a maybe (I use "long range" bluetooth for
web/mail, the WiFi cards apparently work via a "hack" and it fits the sd
card slot so you have to remove your expansion memory, you dont have
much memory to download anything) Phone is very good in low signal
areas, good quality voice etc, expensive, syncing with evolution is a
disaster for your contacts/tasklists, reliability issues, ...

The whole "sync" metaphore sucks big time when you are used to a normal
networked environment.

A "working" WinCE type device seems better on the face of it, but from
what I can see, compatibility with your favourite apps (installing on
the device) is close to nil so you may as well go palmOS.

BillK