[plug] Time to replace palm m130?

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Tue Oct 25 22:13:06 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 14:43, Chris Caston wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 08:38, Chris Caston wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 08:22, Chris Caston wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have an olde m130 palm pilot here that has served me well over the
> > > years but this morning I got up and accidentally knocked it off my
> > > (messy) chest of draw when juggling it with my phone trying to see what
> > > time it was.
> > >
> > > It has survived many many falls and previously I have had to superglue
> > > the face cover flap back on. This time not only did the cover flap come
> > > off but the top right of the casing cracked open and the on/off button
> > > is now extremely difficult to operate.
> > >
> > > Time to just backup all the data and buy a new one perhaps?
> > >
> > > I hear Palm are now moving to WinCE but do they still sell Palms running
> > > PalmOS or do I need to go and buy this from Palmsource?
> > >
> > > Should I consider something that I can run Linux on?
> > >
> > > At the moment I just use the address book, calendar, task list, freehand
> > > notes for taking down customer details when on a phone call.
> > >
> > > I may like to be able to use it for internet access and x11 sessions
> > > over SSH but that would just be a nicety.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > >
> > > Chris
> > >

> > Actually I'm just looking this up and thinking about this.  Something
> > with WiFi would be very handy.

> I'm a bit annoyed that palm doesn't seem to have one with both wifi and
> microphone (without needing to use add-on cards) so will plan to just
> get a Z22 for the time being and wait until later before I make any
> quick decisions on a more expensive PDA.
>
> Hopefully it will let me use install "word to go" that came with my m130
> (but good chance it won't) if that's the case i'll buy a word processor
> online.

I was able to install "documents to go" but I think I broke the EULA.

Once I have moved everything over to the Z22 I'm going to try to repair
the M130.

I don't have a SD-card slot or infrared port on the Z22 but I never used
those on the M130 anyway.

I am still concerned about not having a cover so will order one soon.

regards,

Chris