[plug] Linux Desktop Market

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Tue Oct 25 23:00:17 WST 2005

Top-posting causes hairy palms.

Tuesday, 25 October 2005 17:52, John Knight wrote:
> Ever compiled a tarball? Ever left home even? Dated a girl? Did
> something without telling your mum? ;)

All of the above. In fact, I am currently more than 13,400 km from where
I was born and where my parents live. This has what to do with the
price of rice in China?

> The world runs on not being insular (well, people naturally break free
> from it).

The world runs on evolution. Practices that don't live up to the
environment in which they are being employed are bound to be survived
by fitter practices.

> Using central repositories solely is asking users to switch from
> choice and freedom outside to something insular instead. To a devoted
> few geeks (flame imminent, please don't kill me), this seems the ideal
> solution, to but to all of my mates who just wanna grab an app from
> somewhere, the idea seems silly to them.

Probably because they fail to realise that downloading and installing
stuff from here, there, and everywhere is exactly the source of the
malware that's grinding their systems to a halt.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/