[plug] Linux Desktop Market

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Oct 25 23:16:39 WST 2005

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 11:00:17PM +0800, Alex Nordstrom wrote:

> > Using central repositories solely is asking users to switch from
> > choice and freedom outside to something insular instead. To a devoted
> > few geeks (flame imminent, please don't kill me), this seems the ideal
> > solution, to but to all of my mates who just wanna grab an app from
> > somewhere, the idea seems silly to them.
>
> Probably because they fail to realise that downloading and installing
> stuff from here, there, and everywhere is exactly the source of the
> malware that's grinding their systems to a halt.

Alas, that's true only some of the time. It's also often hitched a ride
on legitimate-looking (to your average user) software, assaulted your
machine directly over the 'net, or taken the MSIE express route onto your
system.

That said, a lot of the _real_ nasties do seem to come in on dodgy
software like "free" screen savers (that somehow have money for REALLY
ANNOYING ads on the 'net ... funny that) and similar cursor packs.

--
Craig Ringer