[plug] Easy Installation: Linux Desktop Market

Mr Shayne shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Oct 26 10:54:59 WST 2005

> There are good reasons why files go where they do. Take a look at clamd,
> for example:

This is the nut of the issue. My first linux was a self assembled mess in
the early ninteys ( I think I misunderstood Slackware ) , and before that
I ran Minix, and before that I'd hacked extensively around the limitations
of my student Unix and Vax accounts.

Now even with the good preparation that I had from Minix and Unix, I
really didnt have the foggiest clue where stuff went (remember Autoconf
type schemes where the exception rather then rule then, so I'd hack
everything so everything went in /bin except the config which Id put in
/etc. A messy messy scheme.

I still btw think that the unix scheme needs to be retired and replaced
with something like

/configs
/programs
/users
/linux

Regardless, I know a lot better now but paradoxically I rarely need to
care, because apt-get tends to just magically work. and if I dont want the
program anymore apt-get also just magically works.