[plug] Good desktop UPS for Linux with graceful shutdown

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 27 07:02:27 WST 2005

suspend2 hibernate: shutdown on small ram systems is very fast,
especially if you bother to "tweak" it - from memory, the timings I did
were ~15 seconds down, cant remember boot time but I think it was
<30secs from when grub started to load the kernel.  Especially good on
gateways when a storm comes through - hit the button and its gone.  Even
better, on boot, it just takes off again - the whole rigmarole of
restarting services and booting a system to the point where it can take
the base load just goes away!  I was looking at the LinusBIOS project
and this looks like it could take care of the bios delays.  Were getting
closer to instant on!

Instead of an UPS, I wish theyd just fix WP - two weekends in a row, 1s
blips have reset the whole house!  And EVP has UG power and is not
exactly in the boondocks.

BillK

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 18:58 +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 October 2005 18:21, Chris Caston wrote:
> > I need a UPS that would allow about 30 seconds [...] I also want
> > to graceful shutdown the Linux box in case it happens when I am
> > out of the room.
>
> Good luck gracefully shutting down a busy machine in 30 seconds.
>
> Cheers; Leon

Home!