[plug] firefox problem

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Thu Oct 27 14:40:22 WST 2005

Craig Ringer wrote:
> Jim Householder wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I just had firefox 1.0.7 crash.  It was sitting idle on another
>> desktop for a while.  When I returned focus to it, it crashed -
>> vanished - and the error reporting window appeared.
>>
>> Now, when I try to restart it I get the following:
>>
>> 755 22:48:09 local$ firefox/firefox
>>
>> (firefox-bin:9982): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_property_get(): length value
>> has wrapped in calculation (did you pass G_MAXLONG?)
>

> That sure shouldn't be fatal. It's more likely that firefox thinks it's
> still running, and has told the existing firefox process to open a new
> window. Alas, the existing process is hideously broken, and can't do so,
> causing the new one to hang waiting for a response.
>
> This is only a guess, of course, but let's just say I have some
> experience with this problem...
>
> Try:
>
>     pkill firefox && sleep 1 && pkill -9 firefox
>
> and see if you can start it after that.
>
> --
Thanks.  When I tried to start it, I got a blank small drab-green window
with the title "Alert".

There did not appear to be any left-overs.

At least this time I kept the firefox software directory intact.   I
took the shotgun approach and reinstalled firefox and it's working
again.  I should be able to compare files and find what changed.

The last problem I had (and still have) I sufficiently mangled the
initial conditions trying to get past it I can no longer determine just
what caused the problem - namely, after the last yum update (appeared to
work fine) yum is broken.  Can't check repos.  Something about empty or
bad files in /var/cache/yum.  I tried deleting things so they would be
recreated, but that failed.  I'll try the shotgun again and reinstall.

Jim