[plug] Easy Installation: Linux Desktop Market

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 17:44:11 WST 2005

> In that situation I generally try getting the debian source for the
> package (apt-get source packagename), copying the debian/ directory
> into the source tree of the newer version, mucking with the
> debian/control and debian/changelog files, and building myself a new
> package.  It's surprising how often that actually works.  And if I'm
> careful with the version number, it'll get upgraded nicely when the
> officially packaged version catches up.

Well yes. There is always that option as well (I have done this a bit
for, mainly for Computer Angels)
I guess it depends on what your installing and if there is a deb for
an older version. Cinelerra, and Tottem don't have any deb packages,
so my only option is to install. For running the latest SVN of Gajim,
I wouldn't want to be packaging it every night, ending up with
versions like 0.8.3825 (last number being svn version number or
something) cause between each commit into SVN, we don't change the
version, (so SVN appears to be 0.9, cause that is what it will
eventually become).

If you do package it, why don't you give the Debian package maintainer
a nice little nudge, or even think about helping out with Debian
packaging?

Tim