[plug] Easy Installation: Linux Desktop Market

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 18:19:51 WST 2005

On 10/27/05, Cameron Patrick <cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au> wrote:
> Timothy White wrote:
>
> > Cinelerra, and Tottem don't have any deb packages, so my only option
> > is to install.
>
> Eh?  Cinelerra has unofficial debs available and totem is in the main
> Debian archive.

Hmmm. Bad examples. I did know about the unofficial debs, and also
about totem. I just wasn't thinking, any my quick apt-cache search
didn't turn up tottem (typo) or cinelerra (due to it being unofficial
debs).
There are things though that have had debs, but involved upgrading
libraries, so instead, I compiled it against my installed libraries.
I'd use apt-src for that though, so it's still managed by apt.

There are things I have installed from src, but off the top of my
head, I can't remember what they were. I know when Inkscape was last
released, Debian and Ubuntu were taking to long, so src it was!

> > For running the latest SVN of Gajim, I wouldn't want to be packaging
> > it every night, ending up with versions like 0.8.3825 (last number
> > being svn version number or something) cause between each commit
> > into SVN, we don't change the version, (so SVN appears to be 0.9,
> > cause that is what it will eventually become).
>
> That's what scripts are for ;-)  But yes, I see your point.

Hmmm. To much work. Easier to just do './configure; make; sudo make
install' and have to latest dev version running!

Tim