[plug] Linux Desktop Market

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 27 18:54:28 WST 2005

>I think the problem with the autopackage system is its a solution
>without a problem.  In almost all cases, the base packaging system for
>both binary and source distros is tar.gz or tar.bz2.  Every package that
>I know is available from the upstream source as a tarball, and often in
>rpm, debs and so on as well.

Sort of, but we're missing the real problem which is we advanced users; a
tarball is what turns off the new users to begin with.... I'd like to see
more of this argument later if I may. :)

>All other packaging systems are just layers or wrappers built on top of
>this basic system.  rpm's have an embedded tar.gz, as do debs (from
>google searches, I have not extracted a .deb)
>
>For instance, emerge has tools that allow the use of rpm's - it
>generally extracts the tar file and installs it according to the recipe,
>or can use the rpm directly in some cases (manual install).  rpm can
>build rpm format files from raw tar.gz's.  i.e., its fairly easy for a
>packaging system to strip and interpret the metadata, and then install
>natively.
>
>So cross distro packaging is happening now!  autopackage suffers a
>further disadvantage in that it is not tied to a distro - until this
>happens, there is no real reason to use it, as other tools already
>natively cover what its trying to.
>
>BillK

The native tools vary between distros though. A new user has to learn the
ins and outs of every distro in order to exactly the same thing. Native
distro integration is possible, but is entriely in the hands of distros
themselves. SuSE are showing some interest....