[plug] Linux Desktop Market

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Fri Oct 28 12:45:27 WST 2005

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:18, Richard Meyer wrote:

> I haven't used Mandriva for a while, and when I did its urpmi tool was
> perfectly satisfactory as was the SUSE YAST2 -

I have both Mandriva and Debian machines and imho apt-get is much better than
urpmi.  I've had apt-get mess me around only once and that was remedied with
a reinstall of the package in question.  IIRC auto-reinstall isn't a feature
of urpmi, it has to be done manually.  urpmi is a pain and I've had packages
fail to make symlinks and worse for no reason other than it seemingly felt
like it. The same package may or may not work perfectly fine the second,
third or fourth time of an attempted install.  All that said, it is still
head and shoulders above the old rpm style installations, which were
dependency hell, but apt-get wins by the length of the straight.

Just my two cents,

skribe
--
Public key information available at:
http://www.amber.com.au/~skribe/publickey.html

When you dig another out of trouble, you've got a place to bury your own.

Xaraya Content Management Solutions http://www.xaraya.com/