[plug] Easy Installation: Linux Desktop Market

Daniel J. Axtens danielax at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 19:09:36 WST 2005

> For packages that simple, you could probably get away with using alien
> to convert from .deb to the package format of the week - assuming that
> the libraries are binary compatible.  Mostly they will be, kinda.

I was aiming for the majority - the nasty packages you listed are the
responsibility of the distro to abuse; the average autopackage user
probably doesn't care about them if the bright shiny new program they
just installed works.

OTOH, if the new package doesn't work or breaks the rest of the
distro, we have problems.

Basically, nothing on this world is perfect, but we can get a lot
closer than we are at the moment.

--
Neuronstorm: neuronstorm.sourceforge.net
The Neuronstorm Blog: leinad-golb.blogspot.com