[plug] USB WiFi 54g dongles

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Mon Oct 31 00:55:43 WST 2005

G'day all,

After a day of combing the shops and googling to try and get something that works I have settled on
a D-Link DWL-G122 Hw: B1 <--- this is the important bit. The Hw rev is written on the bottom of the
dongle, but nowhere to be found outside the box. I just crossed my fingers when I bought it..

This works with the RT2570 driver from here
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Downloads
The new rt2x00 driver loads and talks to the card but can't do WEP or even most things yet. The
RT2570 driver "Just worked". Gotta love that.

Also, a 3COM 3CRUSB10075 (Has WL-545 written on the box also).

Now this one is supposed to be supported by a driver in sourceforge
http://sourceforge.net/projects/zd1211
However it refused to function with this device..

Having said that, 3COM have been kind enough to post an unsupported driver that works just dandy (if
you can tolerate some dmesg noise and the odd "Basness in usb_unlink_urb at
drivers/usb/core/urb.c:461" Message (Have seen no ill effects from this yet, only happens on
ifdown/unplug sometimes

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/result.jsp?selected=all&sort=effdt&order=desc&sku=3CRUSB10075

Thanks 3Com for a driver of any kind that works, and thanks Ralink for fully GPLing your driver(s)

I actually just went to pick up a 11b dongle but could not actually find *anywhere* here that sold
them, so ended up getting the two that looked the most linux compatible in the hope I could at least
make one of them work.

Never know, this might help someone.

On another note, just Re-Celled my Li-ION batteries and am Luuuurving the 6-7 hour normal runtime on
a PIII-M laptop :p) (Down to 2.5 hours running continuous kernel compiles in parallel with
continuous updatedb)

Having said that, it now takes 6-7 hours to charge a battery :\

Regards,
Brad