[plug] Rackmount gear

Shannon Carver Shannon.Carver at P-S-T.COM.AU
Mon Oct 31 10:58:07 WST 2005

Depending on what kind of boxes you're looking for, theres always old
HP/Compaq/IBM servers and rackmount cases going at the local Computer
auctions.  I've been to Smith & Broughton in Midland and Ross's Salvage
in Maylands in the past and have always managed to pick up a fairly good
deal.  From personal experience Smith and Broughton seems to be a better
place to pick up good deals.  Garunteed, there's always at least one
cabinet on auction day too.

I went to a Ex-Woodside Auction at S&B about 6 months ago and there were
about five full (7-8ft tall) rackmount cabinets that all went for about
$200 each if I recall correctly.  There was also a range of small
cabinets, like wall mount 10RU cabinets and old Telstra ones as well.

I'd say the biggest problem you'd have with getting the cases is, even a
relatively recent server case isn't necessarily going to hold the
motherboards for your computers now, if it does, great.  If it doesn't,
you'll either have to keep hunting, or pay the ~$300-$400 price tag for
new ones.

Regards

Shannon