[plug] edit pdf's under linux?

Randal Adamson ranz at devdata.net
Thu Sep 1 12:31:05 WST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 11:50 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> On 9/1/05, W.Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> > I want to extract a 6 pages from an existing 209 page pdf which I dont
> > have the source for, change a line of text and add an explanation why,
> > and save it as a new pdf.  So I need a way to edit it, not create a new
> > one from scratch which I can do in a number of ways.
>
> It may not be the answer your after, but crossover office may be useful
> http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name?app_id=116

apt-cache search pdf :)

-----[ xpdf ]-----
 xpdf is a suite of tools for Portable Document Format (PDF) files.
(These are
 sometimes called 'Acrobat' files after the name of Adobe's PDF
software.)
 .
 This package contains pdftops (PDF to PostScript converter),
 pdfinfo (PDF document information extractor), pdfimages
 (PDF image extractor), pdftotext (PDF to text converter), and
 pdffonts (PDF font analyzer).
 .
 To view PDF files, see the xpdf-reader package. That package
 also contains pdftoppm (PDF to Portable Bitmap converter).

ranz's note:

what you could do here is print the required pages to postscript and
then convert the postscript file back to pdf :)

-----[ pdfjam ]-----
 PDFjam is a small collection of shell scripts that work similarly to
 the well known psutils (psmerge, psnup). They provide a simple
 interface to some of the functionality of the pdfpages package for
 pdfLaTeX. At present, the utilities available are pdfnup, pdfjoin, and
 pdf90. PDFjam depends on a working installation of (pdf)LaTeX.
 .
  - pdfnup puts multiple document pages together on one physical page at
    a reduced size
  - pdfjoin concatenates multiple PDF documents
  - pdf90 rotates the pages of PDF documents

-----[ pdftk ]-----
 If PDF is electronic paper, then pdftk is an electronic
stapler-remover,
 hole-punch, binder, secret-decoder-ring, and X-Ray-glasses. Pdftk is a
 simple tool for doing everyday things with PDF documents. Keep one in
the
 top drawer of your desktop and use it to:
  - Merge PDF documents
  - Split PDF pages into a new document
  - Decrypt input as necessary (password required)
  - Encrypt output as desired
  - Fill PDF Forms with FDF Data and/or Flatten Forms
  - Apply a Background Watermark
  - Report PDF on metrics, including metadata and bookmarks
  - Update PDF Metadata
  - Attach Files to PDF Pages or the PDF Document
  - Unpack PDF Attachments
  - Burst a PDF document into single pages
  - Uncompress and re-compress page streams
  - Repair corrupted PDF (where possible)
 .
  Author: Sid Steward <ssteward at accesspdf.com>
  Homepage: http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk