[plug][OT] Who's a Good Hardware Supplier in Perth?

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Tue Sep 6 21:07:20 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 20:08, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 19:58 +0800, Chris Caston wrote:

> > > A friend was told once that he was "crazy if he thought he'd actually get the
> > > advertised price", by one of the guys at Austin. The guy admitted to his face
> > > that they advertise to get people in the door, then try to sell them something
> > > more expensive.
> > >

> > Yet funny how these computer shops always have abysmal staff yet seem to
> > have A1++ standards when you actually apply for work with them.
>
> Really? Most of the folks I've spoken to who've tried to apply to some
> of these outfits have found the main criterion is "must work for free
> during trial period" ... and oddly enough, work well during the trial
> but find the job has vanished. Interesting, that.
>
> --
> Craig Ringer

OK this is either going to turn into a major rant or become something
very constructive. Lets hope the second.

But is anyone else working in IT becoming serious sick of all the stuff
that we import all the time?

How about we start building components in Australia of superior quality.
Industrial quality motherboards and the like. They will cost more
because are labour and currency is more expensive but if they last
longer are require less servicing and replacement (less issues with
crappy SiS chipsets) then it should cost less in the long-run

Would it be possible to have an Australian made PC (from Australia
components) with for example a 10 year warranty?

Also I would like to see (and carry out myself IT work) that helps
Australian firms export our own native produce and finished products.

I think that exporting our raw resources to China is a bad idea because
they make the money selling the finished products while most of the
money we made in the "mining booms" is spent on their cheap products
that they made with our resources.

Later when the Chinese develop their economy enough to do their own
mining (and they keep selling to us at the same price and or increase
the value of their currency) and we are sweet-out-of-luck because there
is little demand for our raw resources from China anymore.

*phew*

regards,

Chris