[plug] Linux Accounting Packages

Craig Foster craig at fostware.net
Fri Sep 9 00:03:23 WST 2005

<snip>

> All applications are implemented in the PRONTO 4GL database
> management and application development environment. Both the
> applications and data are totally transportable across all
> Unix and Windows platforms."
>
> Yes, it is extendable, customisable
> It is supported on RHES and SUSE, but also we have clients
> running on debian, and a variety of unixs.
>
> For more information contact sales at power.net.au
>
> and yes I work for them.
>

> Anne

I agree. Pronto is extremely flexible, it can be run over a modem line
(eg backwaters of Mongolia to Perth at moderately passable speeds),
supports plenty of different finance modules, have enough security sense
to offer Telnet over SSL, and handles POS->Aftersales->Service serial
number tracking like no other program I've seen :)

However the default DBM is C-ISAM, I've configured it for MS-SQL, but
for the life of me I can't remember what other databases it ran on... I
know there were 6 options in the menu, and MySQL isn't one of them...

But I would recommend asking any dealers straight out about Linux, as a
previous Pronto company I worked for flat-out recommended and fully
supported SCO OpenServer only. The only linux box was their router /
firewall / mail filter / webserver... It runs nice now, though :D

CraigF.

Only thing I miss is the view and the co-workers :P