[plug] [Slightly OT] Wireless ISP companies

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Fri Sep 9 00:20:16 WST 2005

Steve Boak wrote:

>Initial proposal is for a 2Mb satellite hub on a hill with the aforementioned
>Motorolla wireless network to each property, moving to terrestrial microwave
>or fibre links to the main backbone for backhaul in the future.
>
>Both companies *say* that this is what they can provide - I just don't know
>whether to believe them :-)
>
>Steve

Well in that case, the solution is simple.

As an initial test, get them to give you the details of more than three
of their clients who have deployed what you're talking about at the
scale you're discussing and phone them.

If they don't come to the party, run away, don't walk, run.

The next test is to find out what they're using as the backhaul. Not
that it's a pretty satellite dish, but which technology, which actual
equipment. Then google for other users.

Finally, when you sign a contract with them, make sure that they have at
least performance and support clauses in their contract with your town.
That way you can withhold payment until they do their part of the deal.

I should also point out that there are many satellite providers around,
the wireless gear sounds like it's an off the shelf solution, so you
might be able to find other users around. I know of at least one company
that used to be based in Adelaide that went bust trying to implement
this stuff - I was talking with them to use them as my provider before I
went another route - only to find they went bust a month or two later.

I should also note that I'm investigating alternative satellite
providers to upgrade my service to a wider more cost effective pipe.

Kind regards,

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34°45'36.5" - E139°00'08.7" (Mount Pleasant, SA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..