[plug] ArachNet sale to AmCom...

Craig Foster craig at fostware.net
Fri Sep 9 14:56:11 WST 2005

________________________________

From: plug-bounces at plug.org.au on behalf of Senectus .
Sent: Fri 09-Sep-05 2:22 PM
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] ArachNet sale to AmCom...

On 9/9/05, Chris Caston <caston at arach.net.au> wrote:
> > yeah but that was 2 years ago.. this is today.. and I'm still kinda
> > unimpressed that they're charging for WAIX data.. :-/
> >

> Why? If you saturate their pipe sucking down 8mb all the time they have
> to buy a bigger one.

The answer to that is you rate limit total waix access... which to me
would make a lot more sense than setting and trying to police
individual download limits.. (which they haven't had much luck with
lately.)

--
Hmm that's odd since according to http://www.waia.asn.au/cacti/graph.php?rra_id=all&local_graph_id=6 <http://www.waia.asn.au/cacti/graph.php?rra_id=all&local_graph_id=6>  they aren't getting hammered.

The whingepool threads mentioned that they got shaped by their providers, but that sound like crack-smoking.

<rant-mode>

Seriously, I wouldn't mind if Amnet allowed free WAIX, however they QoS'd anything not to or from ports 3389, 21, 25, 80, 443, and 1723 to a combined total bandwidth. (say 10Mb/s int'l and 50Mb/s WAIX) on residential accounts - similar to the what happens in reality on a heavily used cable internet street's bandwidth.

The biggest issue with Amnet I see, is the lack of local content - game servers, debian repositories, FTP or Tucows... Until we have local content we *have* to use WAIX.

I think I'll have a lie down now.... (and yes - those figures were pulled from thin air but the idea is there)

</rant-mode>

Craig F.
Amnet 8/1M Teleworker Customer...