[plug] Re: Linux on Laptops

Michael Hunt michael at aussie.oddsocks.net
Sat Sep 10 13:21:05 WST 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 11:13 +0800, Meryon Montgomery wrote:

> Only problem with the ppc arch is that there is  limited support for
> flash. It would be nice if Macromedia could create and release a fully
> functional flash player for linux

Second that. I don't know how many sites I go to that have firefox say
'Additional pluggins required'. But it is not just limited to
Macromedia, a decent linux JVM for ppc is also needed.

> Then my ibook would live and breath Debian full time.

<sarcasm>

I don't know why you don't already? As a Debian fan you surely don't
just adhere to the principles of FOSS and also hold to a pragmatic
attitude of 'whatever is best for the job (regardless of licence) is
what I'll use'? What freedoms are you fighting for?

</sarcasm>

Seriously I think that running linux on something like ppc is all about
an attitude of mind. My previous debates with skribe on this list about
this very issue (running linux on an ibook) have proven to me that you
can't really argue the case on technical merits :-) You first have to
get pass the mental roadblock that such people have to the very idea of
doing what they consider as a completely 'daft' thing. :-)

> Monts

Michael Hunt

P.S. I'm a full time ubuntu user running Hoary on an iBook G4.