[plug] firewalling streaming video/music?

Evert van Dijk evert at silver-sword.net
Mon Sep 12 19:32:33 WST 2005

Joel at Plug wrote:

> Has anyone on here discovered a way of firewalling streaming video/music?
>
> Unlike IM there's no authentication ports that can be blocked and no
> central website/s that can be blocked.
>
> I've added the IP addresses of a couple of radio stations that I've
> seen some of the staff use but that's going to be a lot of work.
>
> Basically just trying to reduce the amount of bandwidth used in
> non-work related activities - in our particular work environment
> there's no need for streaming services.
>
> Joel

Assuming that you have a policy in place stating that they are not
allowed to use these services, you can issue them with written warnings
for violations. But you will need Managements backup for this. Going
down the technical route will only mean that offenders will look for
other ways to get their fix. and it will become a matter of continually
looking for services that suck bandwidth versus implementing solutions.
I think this is better served with Policies and Procedures. If
management is not willing to back you up on this then it is not a
problem to them and any money spend is then their problem. If you need
an argument to back up the banning of these services then you can put in
a request for more bandwidth along with an explanation why.

Good luck
Evert