[plug] IMPI management?

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Tue Sep 13 18:26:12 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 15:37 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I have a few servers here with IPMI management support. This is supposed
> to offer things like remote reset and power control, plus hardware
> monitoring. Unfortunately, I've had little luck finding tools to
> actually *use* this support with. All I've found is a low level IPMI
> library and driver.
>
> Does anybody here have any experience with IPMI server management or
> know if any tools that are available for such things?

We just got a bunch of Sun V20z servers (dual AMD Operton 64) with said
acronym supported.  They also have their own service processor inbuilt
running a mini install of Linux on a PowerPC processor which is pretty
nifty.  Sun call it ALOM (advanced lights-out management).  This same
device also support IMPI from the OS as well as presenting itself
through the OS via SNMP.

On one of the CDs with them are some RPMs for IMPI management utilities
and drivers however they are for a 64bit kernel only, so I haven't yet
tried them as I'm running OES on the boxes and restricted to 32-bit land
at the moment.

Have a trawl through the Sun site and look at V20z or V40z server
documentation, specifically stuff about the service processor (SP).  I
do recall reading about the IMPI software on the CD and about the
utilities to 'talk' to it from the command line .... however I'm having
troubles locating it right now.

Ryan