[plug] [Slightly-OT] Computer for Paralysed

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 11:00:34 WST 2005

My neighbour was paralysed from the next down earlier this year in a
bicycle accident. This obviously means he can't use a computer in the
same fashion as he previously could.
He would like to be able to use a computer again as he was just
starting back at TAFE as a lecturer and even though he's not able to
continue doing that as he was, he would still like to be able to get
lecture notes 'typed' up, use emails. Basically he wants to be self
reliant in using a computer again.

I understand that he was a Windows user, but my experience with
Windows when you can't user your hands, hasn't been fun. So basically
I'm looking advice on getting him a computer, that he can operate with
his mouth. What hardware and software should we be looking at?
So disabled associations haven't been much help to us. And money is a
limiting factor (i.e. what ever money will be coming from things like
Garage sales we are holding....) hence I'm hoping that there will some
magic Linux based software that runs on a p200 Laptop... ;)

Hope you guys can help with finding something right for this guy.

Thanks

Tim