[plug] Help with Gentoo rc scripts wanted

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat Sep 17 20:24:50 WST 2005

Its a little different to others distros: the standard runlevel is 3 or
"default" (you can name runlevels).  X is just a service that happens to
run in whatever run level you select.

"/etc/init.d/xdm start" starts X
"rc-update add xdm default" adds it to the default runlevel.  In this
case, the initscripts are set (standard) so X is the last service
started as the default runlevel is processed.

There's some good docs on this on the gentoo website.  Named runlevels
are useful for things like alternative configurations (like home or work
configs on a laptop)

BillK

On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 19:51 +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm playing with Gentoo 2005.1 at the moment, and I have to say it's
> rather nice. One problem is I can't get it to boot into a graphical
> logon. It says that it's achievef runlevel 3 and that's it. I did do the
> "rc-update add xdm default" thing after changing the display manager in
> rc.conf to kdm-3.3.2 (which gets me kde after a startx) , but no ....
>
> Extracts from /etc/rc.conf follow
>
> > # What display manager do you use ?  [ xdm | gdm | kdm | entrance ]
> > DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"
>
> and
>
> > # Defaults depending on what you install currently include:
> > #
> > # Gnome - will start gnome-session
> > # kde-<version> - will start startkde (ex: kde-3.0.2)
> > # Xsession - will start a terminal and a few other nice apps
> >
> > XSESSION="kde-3.3.2"
>
> .. and, yes, I will upgrade to KDE 3.4 "Real soon, now"
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA
Home!