[plug] Back-up via SMB ?

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat Sep 17 20:28:18 WST 2005

I would only do this if permissions are not important - unix perms dont
map nicely onto smb.  Ive had corruption of files in the past - though
this was with a windows server some years back, and samba tripped a rare
bug in doze that wrote the contents of xls files to nulls.  Its also
inefficient compared to doing something like a tar via an an ssh pipe.

BillK

On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 18:09 +0800, Kai wrote:
> Hi guys and girls and those in between,
>
> My webserver needs a clean reinstall, I have another machine ready to
> copy all the files for use as an interim server until I've got my other
> machine working again.
>
> I'm currently doing this via smb, sharing a mountpoint on the current
> server and mounting it on the backup server, then doing a recursive copy
> (with flags set to keep file permissions) of all the files.
>
> I mainly want to copy/back-up all my webserver data. Config files aren't
> important because I only have a few services running and it won't take
> long to get those working on the new machine.
>
> This method is working but is there an easier, more practical way of
> doing it or should I keep going with this ?
>
> Cheers
> Kai

Home!