[plug] Mandrake LE2005

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 01:20:37 WST 2005

> >>Thank you Simon, that has returned the system to part success:
> >>'Test Sound' on the KDE sound system configuration window works, as does
> >>kmouth, and I assume skype when I get round to testing it. but 'TEST
> >>MIDI' does not...
> >>
> >>Your comment here would be appreciated
> Yes with same result for Autodetect, Open Sound System, ALSA,
> Threadedopen ..., and Enlightened Soubd system. - I've set it to ALSA.
> No MIDI response with any of these settings.

Note: Not all(many) sound cards have hardware MIDI synths. If this is
the case, then you need to use a software synth. This is where Windows
usually wins, cause it comes with it's own MIDI synth. The easiest way
I've found is timidity, in soft synth mode.

It's to late to remember 100% of what I did, but the Debian package
comes with an init script for starting the softsynth at boot.

I've got it working (not starting on boot) fairly well with alsa, and
having a decent amount of grunt, don't notice that I'm not using my
hardware synth (I'm luck enough to have a 128 voice hardware synth on
one of my sound cards! A vibra 128)

Ah, your lucky. I found the links I used. (Saved in an email)
Not sure which one it was, probably both. I'm off to bed now so I'll
leave the research upto you.

Tim

https://wiki.ubuntu.com//MidiSoftwareSynthesisHowTo
http://www.tldp.org/linuxfocus/English/September2002/article259.shtml