[plug] 'best fit' data archiving tools

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Mon Sep 19 15:21:45 WST 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 14:58 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> On 9/19/05, Ryan <ryan at is.as.geeky.as> wrote:
> > I'm not sure how to name what I want  ...
> I'm pretty sure that TAR does what your after (or close to it)... See
> if you can find some "Advanced uses of TAR" on the web..

DAR (Disk Archiver) does something similar - you can specify the chunk
sizes to split it into. I'm not sure what the output looks like, though.

Disclaimer: I've never used it - a friend used to, but I haven't seen
him in a while, so ....

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart