[plug] Linux training for home newbies

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Mon Sep 19 16:14:27 WST 2005

simon wrote:
> Mr E_T (troll at arach.net.au) wrote:
>

>>How about we split this into three questions.
>>1) Would a linux introduction course cut down on inane or basic questions ?
>>2) What would the course/series contain ?
>>3) Where or with who would such a series be held ?
>

> 4) Is such a course a 'good thing' (tm)?
>
> I learned linux with almost zero help from anyone. Everytime Ive tried to
> 'teach' linux to someone it has ended in abject failure. Im not saying its
> impossible (my skills as a teacher leave a lot to be desired) but there is
> something to be said about self-learning and the greater understanding that is
> achieved.

I'd say most Linux users learnt that way - that's why there are so few
of them in the greater scheme of things.  I taught myself cp/m when
Z80/Z88 were all the rage.  I then taught myself DOS from the ground up.
  However, since Mac, and particularly Windoze came into being the
number of computer users has rocketed up hyperbolically.  That is to
say, people (the great unwashed they ...) won't flock to anything unless
they can do so easilly.  Look how Linux has changed since its inception.
  Now that there are a couple of distros which have evolved far enough,
more and more of the "great unwashed" are having a look.  When it's easy
enough, the trickle will become a torrent.  Until that time, courses,
like the old "Learn DOS" or "Learn Windows" courses will be essential.
I've not yet learnt of anyone in PLUG who could bring themselves down to
a low enough level to effectively present such a course, though I'm sure
you're lurking there somewhere.

All that said, for my many years in computing, when I finally came for a
serious look at Linux I was in no mind to start all over again on my
own.  I needed something "strangely familiar" to allow me to feel
comfortable at MY pace.  Hence I really am on the, "point them at
Xandros" bandwagon.

Btw, I've NEVER been a Wintendo user.  There are other OSes out there.

>>I agree that inane questions can get annoying. That is one reason taht I asked the
>>originating question in the first place.
>>I didnt expect that it would get to this extent.
>

> I think there is an opportunity for a 'Using linux for the windows user' type
> of course,

That's the style of thing I refer to.

Cheers
Kev
Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 3.0.2
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!