[plug] Linux training for home newbies

Clare Johnstone clare at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Sep 20 06:38:57 WST 2005

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Those two points are interesting. They bring up the question of /who/
> such a hypothetical course would actually be for.
<snip>
> tasks sound like they'll require chicken feet, a very unhappy newt and a
> large cauldron.
...... lovely!

> - First time or very computer illiterate users who just want to know how
> to use the very basics? (This is where CA has an existing, well refined
> course, and it's an area that requires impressive patience and quite a
> bit of experience from the teacher(s), so I wouldn't think this to be
> the area you're thinking of).
<snip>

> It comes down to the fact that there's a HUGE amount to know, and there
> are many different sorts of interested people with different needs.
> Deciding who you want to cater for seems like the first step. Yes, I
> said *you* :-P .

If it is newbies,  it seems simple, but when people try it they strike
so many problems; please look at PJ's approach on Groklaw where she is
starting from the point that the first thing is to find out where they
strike problems and how they solve them. This seems the long way round
but may get the best result in the end.
http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/Main_Page

clare