[plug] grep hangs

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Tue Sep 20 16:49:41 WST 2005

Hi

On a number of occasions I have tried to use grep and had it sit there
doing nothing.   More likely in an emacs shell than a terminal window.

I am having problems with tv cards and sound, so I thought a quick scan
of /var (should have specified /var/log, I know) for "/dev/sound" might
turn up something.

grep started, printed 2 error messages concerning non-existent files,
and then sat there forever with state S+ - foreground, interruptible
sleep waiting for an event to complete.

Any ideas what the event might be, and how to tell grep to timeout or
ignore it?

TIA
Jim