[plug] TV card woes

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Wed Sep 21 14:02:54 WST 2005

Hi

Since trying to get mythtv running, something has happened to my tvtime
setup.  I upgraded to version 1.0 and it worked for a while.  The card
is a WinFast TV2000 XP with FM radio.

But now, I get virtually no sound from the card under linux.  If I crank
up the volume all the way I get a bare whisper that sounds more like
radio than TV.  The card works perfectly with WinXP with the sound
patched through line-in.  Line-in works fine with MDK.

Visible feedback indicates that tvtime's mute and volume control work,
but have no audible effect.

I loaded the btaudio module, and tvtime's volume status bar is now
permanently at 0.  No adjustment possible.

However, I used sox to successfully record from the card.  I'm sure I'm
missing something painfully obvious, but I have not been able to get
tvtime to look at what sox sees.  Any clues?

xawtv also has no sound.

Also, with the new digital card and mythtv, mythtv tells me that
/dev/dsp is in use by something else, even after a fresh reboot.

How do I find what it is?  I seem to remember something about how to
find out on this list a while back, but don't know what to use for an
archive search argument...

TIA
Jim