[plug] delete sections of posts

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Fri Sep 23 17:31:25 WST 2005

On Friday, 23 September 2005 08:43, Ryan wrote:
> I noticed that my PGP signature that I attached divulges my email
> address on the website too.   I didn't send it with this email :)

You might as well, since your address is stored with your key on the
public key servers[1]. I started getting plenty of UCE on addresses
that I had hardly ever used when I published my key.

So the spammers are actually using the key servers to harvest addresses.
When they start using the key server data to encrypt the messages,
content-based spam filters will be in trouble. Fortunately,
personalising bulk mail like that is probably too computationally
expensive to be viable today.

I find the best way to keep on top of UCE is to use a filter like Spam
Assassin (although at times I've wished for a separate machine just to
run this resource hog) and make disciplined use of a service like
Spamcop to report spam. I may be imagining it, but it seems the problem
goes from trickle to flood if I neglect filing reports for a couple of
weeks.

[1]
http://keys.se.linux.org/pks/lookup?op=vindex&fingerprint=on&search=0xA052660F6B9DDA01

--